The Payroll Specialist is a full time postion, reports to the Vice President of Finance and is part of a dedicated fiscal team. The ideal candidate has previous payroll experience and a familiarity with bookkeeping.
Essential Job Functions:
- Prepares and processes bi-monthly payroll.
- Prepares reports, reconciliations, and journal entries related to bi-monthly payroll.
- Processes new employees and salary changes in the payroll system.
- Addresses issues and questions regarding payroll from employees and superiors on a timely basis.
- Reviews payroll related invoices and distributes and approves expenses by entity.
- Maintains employee payroll files.
- Prepares census data for 403b and Retirement Plan annually.
- Prepares correspondence, reports, and documents as needed.
- Interacts professionally on a regular basis with staff and vendors.
- Assumes additional responsibilities and performs special projects as needed or directed.
- Prepares data transmissions for HSA and 403b plan deposits.
- Opens and distributes mail twice/week.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Training and/or Experience
- Associates in degree in finance, business, or a related field
- Minimum of three years’ experience in payroll processing.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications, specifically Outlook, Excel and Internet.
- Trustworthy with attention to confidentiality.
- Familiarity with legislation and regulations affecting payroll and related taxes.
- Demonstrated aptitude for new technology.
- Ability to maintain established recordkeeping system and office procedures.
- High attention to detail, follow-up, self-motivated, proactive and solution focused.
- Ability to express self effectively and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to tactfully and effectively deal with staff and vendors in a personable and professional manner.
- Ability to work independently with general direction.
- Ability to maintain a high level of energy and a consistent positive attitude.
- Willingness to schedule time off around payroll processing dates
- Excellent math skills
- Bachelors degree in finance, business, or a related field.
- Previous administrative and bookkeeping experience
- Experience using a payroll software system
- 5 plus years’ experience in payroll processing